Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

I got laid off from work. I was given a separation agreement

I got laid off from work. I was given a separation agreement to sign. I believe it says that I will not talk bad about them, have no further claims etc against them etc. In return they will offer me 2 weeks pay.
Will I still get unemployment if I sign this paper?
Hello and welcome,

Yes, this is a form of severance pay and will not typically affect whether the employee is eligible for unemployment benefits, or the amount the employee is entitled to receive.

Here is a link that provides more information on this issue:

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction.

Thank you and all the best to you,

If you experience technical problems, please let me know or contact [email protected]