socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

If you are a Salary employee and work three hours, leave because

If you are a Salary employee and work three hours, leave because you are ill, can your employer force you to use vacation time for the remaining five hours unworked? Or as a salary employee are you not to be docked for the "early out"?
Partial-day absences may be deducted, from an accrued vacation leave bank without affecting the employee's salaried status. If the employee's vacation leave bank is exhausted, the employer may be required to give exempt employees additional time off. See Conley v. Pacific Gas & Electric Co., 131 CA4th 260, 270.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!