Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I have an employee who is creating a hostile work environment

Customer Question

I have an employee who is creating a hostile work environment for everyone. How can I terminate his employment with reprocusions?
Submitted: 4 years ago via EmployeeIssues.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

As an at-will employer, you can terminate an employee at any time for any reason with or without prior notice, including, and especially, if the employee is creating a hostile work environment.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922.

I'm not sure what you mean 'with repercussions'? If you mean without repercussions, you don't have anything to worry about due to the employment at-will doctrine.

Still, to ensure that you won't have to pay for the employee's unemployment insurance benefits, it'd be best to have documented his history of creating a hostile work environment, including any statements from employees who have made complaints about the employee's behavior.