Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I live and work in CA ... I could not locate my company vehicles

I live and work in CA ... I could not locate my company vehicles during period of the day and the staff that was assigned to them. I placed a GPS device on the vehicle to track it and caught an employee breaking company rules and policies, which is a terminable offence. They signed and acknowledged that these offences were such.

Now they are claiming "entrapment", since I didn't notify them I placed a GPS on the company vehicle!

I can't see that this is the case at all!
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. My goal is to answer your question completely and thoroughly and to provide excellent service.

An employee has no expectation of privacy with regard to where they travel in a company vehicle, and so there is nothing to prevent an employer or manager from placing a GPS tracking device on a company car to track where it goes. "Entrapment" has a specific legal definition and pertains to efforts of law enforcement to coerce someone into committing an illegal act.

What you describe neither involves coercement into committing an illegal act nor law enforcement, and so would not constitute "entrapment" under any fathomable definition.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that what you describe is simply not illegal. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

If you do not have any further concerns, I would be very grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating and click submit, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you. If you have any additional concerns that you would like me to address, please feel free to let me know by hitting the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

Finally, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.

Thank you and very kindest regards.