Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Im on a Net65 contract with my former full time employer.

I'm on a Net65 contract with my former full time employer. They have not paid me for work done from Dec-March and I just keep getting excuses, but other full time employees are being paid.

I was told two weeks ago, "a couple to few weeks" but nothing is happening - I had to stop working for them.

I'm not almost completely out of money and I need the pay they owe me - no more delays or excuses. What can I do without burning my relationship and references with them?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
If your employer refuses to pay you the wages owed to you, you can either file a suit against the employer (in small claims court, if the amount is less than $10,000) or file a wage claim.

I would suggest going the wage claim route, since there's no cost to filing a wage claim.

You can file a wage claim against your employer using the instructions available online here:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/howtofilewageclaim.htm

If you want to avoid filing suit or a wage claim, I would suggest that you send your employer a simple demand letter, requesting to be paid the wages that are owed to you, and stating that if they are not paid by X date, that you will pursue the legal remedies available to you to receive the wages you are due.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks but i don't want to kill a reference. if I don't have them as a reference, i'll never find work again in this economy. also i don't have my copy of the net65 but can't there be a clause that says wages are arbitration?
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Yes, there could be a clause, but it wouldn't eliminate your right to pursue a wage claim against your employer.

Also, if the employer were to say anything false about you in retaliation for you filing a wage claim, you would have a cause of action for defamation against the employer.

Joseph, Lawyer