socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Im a 1099 recruiter w/ 13+ yrs of experience (w/my own company)

Customer Question

I'm a 1099 recruiter w/ 13+ yrs of experience (w/my own company) with a client for a little over 1 yr (they have given me laptop, desk, phone and comp nay email, etc)and there has been some change in lower management chain and now this first time manager is creating co-employment issues (I believe) by doing the following
-demanding that I come on site everyday (40mile drive and no reimbursement)
-regulate my hours (we agreed to a 40hr week and hourly rate over 1yr ago)
-they have asked me to work late and that they haven't been paying me for my time over 40hrs
-trying to regulate my hours (asking what are the exact hours I work and how many hours a day do I work)
-demanding that I work 8 hours mon-fri and within certain the hours that this first tome manager thinks are correct
-when I come come on site this person is asking me what time did I leave and i need to check in before I leave and get permission before I take time off.
-has deliberately held up my invoices (invoices are non-itemized per the agreement) for 2 weeks (that have an 10 payable per the agreement) because she wants to what time a clock in and out.

The client groups that I support are very happy w/ my work and in fact I won an award from them a few weeks ago. The VP of HR let's this go bad behavior go on.

I have emails to prove and tomorrow I need to speak w/ this junior manager about my late invoices and she wants to speak about my hours (how many, when, what times, etc) and before I do I have a few questions as follows:
1. what can I do to address the hours issue this person will bring up?
2. is this a co-employment issue?
3. do I have rights and what are they?
4. can they state in a contract that I have to be onsite everyday...even as independent contractor regulate my hours, cap my hours (and ask for more hours and not pay for them)?

Thank you in advance.
--Troubled 1099
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.

A: You can say something like: It seems to me that you intend to exercise control over the manner and method by which I perform my work. That's fine, if that's what you want, but if so, then I expect to be compensated as an employee, which would include payroll tax remittance (FICA, unemployment, workers compensation, SDI, health care, retirement, etc.). If you insist on my working as if I were an employee, and you don't pay my employment benefits, then I'll have to file a DE 230 with the California Employment Development Department and an SS-8 with the IRS. I believe that would probably create some fairly substantial financial liability for your organization. But, it's your choice, so just let me know what you prefer.

2. is this a co-employment issue?

A: I am unaware of the term "co-employment." The legal term, as far as I'm aware, is "misclassified employee" -- and, "yes," it's an issue that could cost the putative employer a small fortune if you were to report the relationship to the EDD and IRS.

3. do I have rights and what are they?

A: See Form DE 230, and SS-8. California law is extremely hostile to the independent contractor relationship. In almost every case, personal service agreements which are claimed to be independent contractor end up being employment, if the worker complains to the government. The penalties for misclassifying an employee are huge. Between Uncle Sam and the State of California, penalties for one misclassification can amount to over $100,000 for each tax year during which a misclassification occurs! BotXXXXX XXXXXne, there is very little risk to the employee, and very substantial risk for the employer.

A: They can state whatever they want. But, if they cross the line and start controlling you as if you are en employee, then the government and the courts will declare that you are an employee, and the result will be the employer's worst nightmare.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("ToCustomer), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!