Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am an asst. manager at a grocery store. Have been there 34

I am an asst. manager at a grocery store. Have been there 34 years. I have decided to step down back to being a checker, as recommended by my doctor because being in management has become too stressful. I am now on salary, but stepping down, I will be back in the union. Can my employer cut me from full time to part time?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, yes, your employer could reduce you from full time to part time, unless to do so would violation your collective bargaining agreement, which you'll be covered by as a union employee.

If you are cut from full time to part time against your wishes, I would suggest that you file a grievance with your union against your employer for the reduction.

If your employer were to reduce your hours due to discrimination based on age in violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, or disability in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, you should also file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

You can file a complaint using the instructions available online here:

http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

The EEOC will investigate your complaint on your behalf and either file suit on your behalf or issue you a right to sue letter so you can pursue your claim against your employer through a private attorney.