Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

If my former employer presses charges against me for "giving

If my former employer presses charges against me for "giving myself a raise without his knowledge" and says there is no authorization for the raise in my personnel file (not anymore anyway), will I go to jail? This accusation was made by their representative at my DLSE claim conference (to my utter surprise, shock and humiliation) and was the first I ever heard of it. I quit that job over a year ago. It's an absolute lie, but now I believe he's capable of just about anything and I'm worried sick. How do I defend myself against a lie I cannot prove?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

No, an unsubstantiated and baseless allegation would not be enough for an arrest let alone a conviction for embezzlement.

In order to 'go to jail' the employer would need to make the allegations and there would need to be proof that they did occur (beyond a reasonable doubt for a conviction, which is an incredibly high standard of proof).

In short, I don't think you have anything to worry about, so I hope you can sleep at night and rest easy.

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management