Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

So an hourly wage employee must get two 10-minute breaks (does

So an hourly wage employee must get two 10-minute breaks (does it matter when, e.g. break after 3rd hour or 7th hour?), and get one 30-min. lunch break. Such breaks are included in the 8 hour shift, correct?

Also, an employee who works more than 8 hours a day gets time and a half, and 12 hours a day gets double time?

I just need to make sure that my understanding is correct. thank you.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Yes, they should get a 10 minute break every four hours of work, so they should get a break before the 4th hour and then a 2nd before the 8th hour. The breaks would be included in the 8 hour shift.

Yes, an employee who works more than 8 hours, gets time-and-a-half for all hours worked in excess of 8 during a day, and double time for all hours worked in excess of 12 during a day.

Thank you against and best of luck!
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please let me know if this is correct: An employer must give at least 30 mins of lunch break and two 10 minute breaks (one every four hours of work) during a regular 8 hour shift. Does the employer pay for all lunch and brakes? I'm confused. Could you tell me a typical work schedule for an hourly employee?

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that is correct.

The employer only pays for the rest breaks, not the lunch break--it is unpaid.

A typical schedule would be as following.

2 hours work

10 minute break

2 hours work

lunch break of half an hour

2 hours work

10 minute rest break

2 hours work

end shift.

Joseph, Lawyer