LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

Can a employer suspend a person for smoking in a tractor or

Can a employer suspend a person for smoking in a tractor or vehicle if they are the only in the tractor?in california
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

Under CA law, an employer may prohibit an employee from smoking while on the job, except during authorized rest breaks and meal breaks. Additionally, an employer may prohibit an employee from smoking inside the work premises, and that would include any vehicles owned by the employer---regardless of whether only the driver is in the vehicle.

The violation of such a rule may be grounds for disciplined by the employer, and that discipline may be the suspension of the employee.

I hope that you found my answer informative, that you are accepting of my efforts and that you will rate my efforts based on the knowledge I have provided to you.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Thank you.

Doug