Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I was verbally told back in 2011 that I was going to be laid

I was verbally told back in 2011 that I was going to be laid off effective 6/30/12 by my HR manager, but did not receive a layoff letter. I mentioned this to my HR office a few days (5/30/12) ago and now they're working on getting me a layoff letter and paying me in lieu of the late notice. What's distrubing to me is on 6/1/12 the policy changed that employees that are being laid off will only receive severance pay not severance pay or prefrencial rehire. When I spoke to someone in the HR office about my laid off letter they said I was only eligible for severance pay because they have no record of receiving the initial layoff letter from my HR manager back in 2011. Is there anything I can do to change this to preferential rehire instead of severance pay?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you don't have any right to severance or preferential hire at the time of your termination, so it is within your employer's discretion to decide to provide you with either severance or preferential hire at the time of termination.

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.