Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Id like to point someone to the law that makes clear that

I'd like to point someone to the law that makes clear that you cannot bill two employers for the same work simultaneously. Believe it or not, they seem to feel completely justified, and I'd like to point them at the law. While I know it's typically grounds for termination, I can't seem to find anything that explains it. Can you point me in the right direction? Thank you!
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, there is no specific law that states that an employee cannot bill two employers for the same work simultaneously.

However, as an at-will employee, an employee can be terminated at any time for any reason with or without prior notice, including billing two employers for the same work simultaneously.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.