socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

my boyfriend went for a job interview. He answered all of the

my boyfriend went for a job interview. He answered all of the questions. The interviewer said everything looked good, told him what the wage would be, what the hours were and that they would run the background check.

Other than a speeding ticket - he has a clean record. the job was for a stocking position. He has called back but has been given the run around by the store -- Is this legal?

An employer has no obligation to hire anyone, regardless of any promises made prior to hiring -- unless the prospective employee relies to his/her detriment on the promise and suffers economic injury as a result. For example, if your boyfriend gave up a different job opportunity after being promised a job from this latest prospective employer, then he could sue for the lost wages from the previous job.

But, if the employer is just taking its time, and even if it finally decides not to hire, there is no legal recourse.

Your boyfriend may want to keep looking for work, because a prospective employer that doesn't respond in a courtious manner suggests that it may be a lousy employer to actually work for. Sometimes the best thing that can happen is to not get the job.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. Your positive feedback to the website is appreciated. If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!