Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was a warehouse manager. my boss asked another manager to

I was a warehouse manager. my boss asked another manager to get me for him. then in front of my peer he demoted me and discussed personal issues. our HR person was not there. is there anything leagally wrong with this?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about your demotion, especially in light of how it occurred.

Regrettably, and contrary to what most people believe, there is no requirement that an employer treat employees with a certain degree of respect and no law that prevents employers from discussing personal issues or demoting an employee in front of his or her colleagues.

Rude and objectionable behavior only becomes legally actionable if it relates to an employee's race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age (over 40), or sexual orientation. In such cases, it becomes actionable harassment. Otherwise, there is no law that prohibits an employer from doing what you have described, even though it is disrespectful and extremely unprofessional.

I am so very sorry to deliver this news to you, as I realize this is not what you were hoping to hear. If it is any consolation, I honestly believe the law is unfair in this respect. Of course, you are here not because you want an opinion on what the law should be, you are here because you want to know what the law actually is in this instance. Accordingly, I hope you will appreciate my honest summary of the laws as they relate to your question.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX this information helps you and I wish you the best.

My absolute greatest concern is that you are satisfied with the answer I provide, so please do not hesitate to contact me with follow-up questions. Also, please bear in mind that none of the above constitutes legal advice nor is any attorney client relationship created between us.