Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

My work requires staff to use their own vehicle for work.

My work requires staff to use their own vehicle for work. Wording in every offer letter is: Please note that employees are required to use their own vehicles, often extensively, in the conduct of business.

Yet they refuse to accept any liability for damage caused to our vehicles when using them for work. Is this legal? We are in California.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, unfortunately, an employer is required to reimburse an employee for their mileage using their own personal vehicles for work, however, an employer is not liable for damage that occurs to an employee's vehicle during the course of work.

However, if the employee were to damage someone else's vehicle, the employer would be liable for the damages caused by the employee that occured within the scope of business.

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.