Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

My sister injured her knee at work (State of California job)

My sister injured her knee at work (State of California job) in 2008. It took them so long to get around to "checking" it, that she re-injured the same knee in 2010. They sent her for the arthroscopic miniscus repair which seemed to make matters worse. Now the knee surgeon is requiring all kinds of tests before proceeding with the knee replacement surgery but, while testing, the EKG identified problems with her heart which may require her to have a stent before surgery.
She has been advised that State Fund is financially responsible for any medical problem that is necessary to be cleared for the knee surgery, and we've also been advised that they are not responsible because it has nothing to do with the initial injury. Who is right?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Are you asking if the State Fund would be responsible for her heart problems?
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

The State Fund could be responsible for her additional knee injury, since it would be related to her initial injury.

However, the State Fund wouldn't be obligated to pay for medical treatment and surgery for her heart problems, since it is unrelated to her initial knee injury.