Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Hello, I have a friend who currently works in retail. He

I have a friend who currently works in retail. He has been with a large corporation for many years in a managerial position and is now thinking of taking a medical leave of absence for mental health reasons.

My question is: if my friend chooses to do this, would the corporation he is working for have grounds to terminate him? What should he be aware of if he chooses to take this leave?

Thank you!
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation and hope I can help.

Does the corporation that he works for have more than 50 employees at his location?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, they employ more than 50 people there.
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Your friend would be eliglbe for FMLA leave, which allows for 12 weeks of protected leave, during which he could receive treatment for his mental health issues.

His employer would be required to keep his job open for him, and return him to the same or similar position when he is ready to return to work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much for this helpful information. What does "FMLA" stand for? Formal Mental Health Leave of Absence?

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
No, it's the Family Medical Leave Act, it provides for 12 weeks of unpaid leave for people with 'serious health conditions,' including mental health problems.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Okay. I am glad I asked.

Thanks again!