PaulmoJD
PaulmoJD,
10285032

have come to the information that my workers comp was cancelled

Customer Question

have come to the information that my workers comp was cancelled and I have a lapse in coverage. I have been wiating for a quote from the state fund but have received no information regarding a policy quote for more than two weeks, even after repeated inquiries. I'm quite concerned I am in violation of not having this coverage right now though upon discovery of he lapse in coverage, i began the process of getting covered. I did not know of the lapse and i want coverage as soon as possible. Any advice on how to respond if asked about coverage other than the clear truth in the situation? A CA labor board enforcement agent has expressed to me he will be inspecting my business. What else should i be prepared for?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  PaulmoJD replied 2 years ago.
You should not be making any statements to them except through your attorney, since they can use those statements in prosecution of you for failure to have workers compensation. You are going to have to provide proof to them at least that you never received notice of the lapse of the workers compensation insurance and that you had no knowledge or intent and sought to remedy it as soon as possible. He is looking for employee records to determine the fines and fees you will be charged for the time the insurance coverage was lapsed.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”