Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

CALIF FMLA Question: my son is undergoing psychiatric treatment

CALIF FMLA Question: my son is undergoing psychiatric treatment for major depression and brief psychotic episode. He was hospitalized on a 5150 last summer for 40 days. He is at home now. I am having a situation where I might need to leave early from my salaried job as a software engineer working for a large-ish Corp. based in California (> 50 employees), so that I can go home and keep an eye on my son each day. This might be 1 or 2 hrs per day, on an irregular basis, that I may need to take off.

Can FMLA help me here? What protections will I get? There is a lot of sabre rattling about doing "death march" hours on current projects and I just can't do that with my son the way he is; he could get violent and/or suicidal again if I'm not there to keep him on track. Can I get these small bits of time off here and there? and for how long (ie, how many days/weeks/months.).

$50 bonus for a good, complete answer.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, you could use intermittent FMLA leave in order to care for your son, since he does have a qualifying condition under FMLA.

You can use intermittent FMLA leave over a larger period of time, up to a total of twelve weeks of leave, in order to care for your son.

You can read more about intermittent FMLA leave under the Code of Federal Regulations, Section 825.202, here:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=abbd92cdff37c5d32de741cc5ccc1e81&rgn=div5&view=text&node=29:3.1.1.3.54&idno=29#29:3.1.1.3.54.2.489.3
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
How old is your son?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks.

Can you tell me about some specifics re: protection.

(1) can I be terminated while on FMLA intermittent leave and under which conditions;

(2) is the intermittent timing of the leave (IE, which hours/days I need to be out) determined by me or does the company have a right to tell me I can't take an hr or two when the opportunity arises, if they feel they want me in the office that day?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my son is 16.

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
1) You could still be terminated while on FMLA leave, but it is unlikely. In order for you to be terminated while on FMLA leave, your employer would need to have an economic reason to do so (such as your position being eliminated due to financial constraints). Otherwise, you have the right to be reinstated to the same or similar position at the termination of your leave.

2) The timing of the leave would need to be approved by your employer, unless you were to need to take time for emergency situations. Otherwise, your employer would be within its rights to require you to stay in the office if you were needed.
Joseph, Lawyer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How is caring for someone who is, say physically ill and requires caretaking daily, protected as an intermittent leave if the employee needs to be there every day, or every other day, and the employer has discretion over "when" the leave can be taken. I find this someone confusing. I can imagine many situations that are not "emergent" but rather "cronic" and "predictable" which require perhaps an hour a day of "leave" and unavailability for extended working hours.

If the FMLA doesn't provide protection against being forced to work when you need to be caring for your family member, what is the point of it? If the only time you have control over your schedule for intermittent leaving is to respond to emergencies, then how do family care providers for the medium-term chronically ill get any protection at all? Your answer leads me to believe there is no protection if I leave, saying "I can't work the last hour of this day because I need to monitor my son's post-medication letdown behavior, this day and every day." etc...

Thanks for continuing to answer. I need to know these ins and outs before I make a move.

Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, that wasn't what I meant. You would still have the right to take leave when you wanted to, but it would have to be worked out with your employer.

FMLA would stil protect you and you would be able to take off the leave when you needed to take it in order to care for your son.