LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

does an independent contractor working alone on job site need

does an independent contractor working alone on job site need to comply with osha safety requirements? what about two or more such contractors?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

As a general rule, OSHA covers every employee in your workplace, regardless of the worker’s title, status, or classification. classification. It covers managers, partners, family members, rank-and-file employees, and so on. However, OSHA does not apply to independent contractors. This is also the case with Cal-OSHA. Here is a link to a court opinion--see page 12 of the report, Iversen v. California Village Homeowners Association (Cal. Ct. of App., 2d Dist.), 2011:

So long as the 2 or more contractors are all independent of one another, OSHA will not apply to them either.

I hope you found my answer informative.

I wish you the best in 2012.