Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

We have an employee who we hired as a caregiver for our parent

Customer Question

We have an employee who we hired as a caregiver for our parent at home. The caregiver fell at our house while on duty, sprained her ankle, went to the doctor, and has been off work for 4 days with doctor approval. She hasn't filed a worker's comp. claim. Do we directly have to pay her for the time off? If yes, what amount? This is in California.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, we are definitely waiting for an answer.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

It is the legal obligation of the employer to file an injury report with the employer's worker's comp insurance company once notified of the incident typically. The employee is normally entitled to 2/3 of their regular wages for time they miss due to their work related injury, but that benefit is paid by the insurer, not the employer directly.

Here is a link that provides more information on worker's comp benefits:

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the ACCEPT button and/or SMILEY FACE once I have answered your question. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.