Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I work for a healthcare conglomerate that owns and manages

I work for a healthcare conglomerate that owns and manages hospitals nationwide. Their corporate leadership has deliberately short-staffed our Murrieta, California office, necessitating that most of the staff "work overtime against their will," in order to complete their job duties on a daily basis. Failure to do so will result in their termination.
In your professional opinion, do we as staff, have any recourse?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, your employer can require you to work overtime against your will as a condition of continued employment.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, and states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is my supervisor breaking any labor laws?
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
No, unfortunately, the supervisor is not breaking any labor laws by requiring staff to work overtime.