LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

My company is being bought out for months and apparently the

My company is being bought out for months and apparently the deal closed on May 1 although there is no official announcement. I have been told that I will be able to keep my job and I would get a salary increase but, I would be losing my mileage and cell phone reimbursements. I am just told that my new salary will more than make up for the difference. I then received a non compete agreement on Friday and was told I have to sign it by this coming Tuesday May 8th. My healthcare is also suffering a downgrade. I however, have not been informed about my new salary and feel I should not sign a non-compete if I do not know what my new salary will be. I feel I may be fired if I do not sign this agreement. Do I have any legal recourse if I do not sign and am terminated?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

I'm not sure what your new employer is thinking, but under CA law, non-compete agreements are almost all illegal and unenforceable.

CA Business and Professions Code states in pertinent part: §16600. Except as provided in this chapter, every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void.

Here is a link to the few exceptions---which do not reach to individual employees like yourself:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=bpc&group=16001-17000&file=16600-16607

As non-competes are not legal in CA, if you are terminated from your job because you refuse to sign such an agreement, you may well have a valid claim for Wrongful Termination, as well as being eligible for unemployment benefits.

As for whether the increase in wages will compensate for the lost benefits and reimbursements---only you can decide whether that is worthwhile to you.

If you consider a lawsuit, you will want to consult with a local Employment Law attorney to assist you.

I hope you found my answer informative.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Doug
LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.