Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I was working for a company who had a contract with the USAF

Customer Question

I was working for a company who had a contract with the USAF military base hospital. I worked for them for 9 months. My security clearance was not favorable, and was considered "undetermined". They terminated me immediately and could not provide me or give me directions to ask why. I was not allowed to get my belongings in my locker and was escorted off the premises immediately. I was ashamed with how they treatment me. I felt like I was treated like a convicted felon. I just want to know if there is something that I can do so that this will not happen to someone else.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, you can be terminated at any time for any reason (or no reason at all) with or without any prior notice.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, which states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.