Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I own a small business for the last 20 months I had a guy working

Customer Question

I own a small business for the last 20 months I had a guy working 6 days a week at minimum wage and he is illigal..I was paying him cash, about 2 months ago since buisness is so bad I decided to cut his hours.I am in the process of making a decision of closing the business or trying to find a solution due to the fact that I dont make enough money to even cover payroll. To top this off I got a letter from the labor commison asking for back up stubs etc and that i have to pay this guy back pay and I don't know what to do.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

What questions do you have regarding your situation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is the process for a situation like this? I have to be at the commisions office on May 24 and I want to know if I have to pay a fine?

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
There will be a hearing, and if you failed to pay the employee wages that were due to him, and in addition to the amount of wages that is owed to the employee, you could be accessed a day's wages per day that the employee was required to wait to receive his wages, up to 30 days of wages.

I wish I had better news to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.