Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

An ex-employee of mine quit her job because she thought nobody

An ex-employee of mine quit her job because she thought nobody liked her in my company. That was true. She was always lied about a lots of things and lack on her duty. I treated her fairly and nice, even she lied to me sometimes. But her last day, after she wrote her quit note to me. We had a talk. The talk involved lies again. I was mad. I asked her" don't you believe your god? If you god didn't teach you good, convert to another god."
After she quit a week, she has been no job offer. She thought she could sue me for something. she texted to one my current employee. so I knew.
Is it possible she could sue me? what she could get from it?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

It would be unlikely that she would have any basis to sue you, as long as the treatment of her was based on her character and wasn't due to discrimination based on a protected characteristic (such as race, religion, national origin, sex, or ethnicity).

Unfrotunately, the comment that was made to her may give her a basis to file a complaint for religious discrimination in violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act, since her religion was mentioned at the time of her termination.

It's difficult to estimate the amount of damages that she could possibly receive, as it would depend on how long she worked, and the nature of the discrimination against her, if there was any.