LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I received a termination check for 393.92 for a period ending

I received a termination check for 393.92 for a period ending 3-21-12. It says it is for " unclaimed wages". What is this? It came with a separate check for my final days of pay( PF Chang's Restaurant) Thanks. Sean.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

Under CA law, there is no specific legal significance given to the term unclaimed wages---at least which would have anything to do with a payment to an employee.

CA does have a law which requires employers to pay to the state all employee wages which have not been claimed after a year by the employee.

It is possible that the employer held back wages for you---perhaps from a tip pool or even through an accounting error and payroll simply failed to pay you. When you left the employment and they were closing out your payroll record, they located the money owed to you, and simply noted the unclaimed to allow them to differentiate that money from final wages based on work in that pay period for accounting purposes.

Either way, there is no reason that you should not accept the money.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,