LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I started a new job. My employer told me to come in at 11:00

Customer Question

I started a new job. My employer told me to come in at 11:00 am. At 1:00 they gave me a time card and told me I could punch in now. The first two hours I wasn't being paid for because they wanted me to be early.

The next day they asked me to come in at 1:00 pm. I came in to work and punched into the time clock at 1:00 pm. Then I was sent to someones desk for a training session. The boss came over about a half hour later and said, "Okay, you're trained for todays task, go punch your timecard in". I explained that I punched in at the time she asked me to come in. Her response was, "No, you always wait until you are briefed for the assignment. Once we've communicated everything you need to know about the days project, you then sign in".

A few days later, (it's a research company). Come in at 11:00 - you will be interviewing respondents all day. You will have a half hour for lunch and a morning break of 10 minutes and an afternoon break 10 minutes. When a respondent didn't show up for her interview and the previous respondent came in early, I took her early. Because of this, I was told to go take an hour walk, punch off the time card but be back in exactly one hour because for this hour, they had no work for me.

Is all this stuff legal practice by a company?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!