Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

State: California Subject: Unemployment Situation: I work

Customer Question

State: California
Subject: Unemployment
Situation: I work approx 20 hours per week, 16 hours on the weekends and sometimes filling in for full-time employees when they're on PTO during the weekdays. Now my employer has reduced my scheduled hours to 1 day per month. I plan on filing for unemployment during the time in between shifts. Can my employer attempt to schedule me for 2 hours per day for 7 days a week to deny me on "availability" as it is not worth my time to travel for 2 hours of work? What other challenges will my employer throw at me?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, your employer could potentially try to schedule you for 2 hours per day for 7 days a week to deny you 'availability,' but due to the length of your commute, you would have good cause to turn down this employment in order to look for full-time work.