Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

Was suspended from work 2 weeks ago today. Heres the scenario

Was suspended from work 2 weeks ago today. Here's the scenario daughter went at my place of work about 5 months ago upon leaving the public area spotted a black binder took it and put it in her backpak and forgot about it, last month during sleep over at my house the girls found binder and it was ipad start texting and sending pictures..it was trace to the owner and owner wants it back..girls took it back to the rightful owner. owner is happy to get it back since he doesn't remember where it was misplaced..daughter is 15 yrs old. Since it was trace to my daughter and me happen to work in the company, they automatically assumed that I have something to do with the missing ipad. Spoke to owner and willing to write statement about incident in my favor.. I haven't heard anything from my employer..do I have a recourse to this matter..Please advise. Thank you, xxxx
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can ehlp.

Unfrotunately, as an at-will employee, you can be suspended from work at any time for any reason with or without prior notice.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, which states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

Since an employer has the freedom to terminate an employee at any time for any reason with or without prior notice, an employer can
also suspend an employee at any time for any reason with or without prior notice.

I wish I had better information to give you, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.