How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had unemployment insurance in California and moved to Texas

Resolved Question:

I had unemployment insurance in California and moved to Texas as of 4/1/12. I filled out paperwork for unemployment that showed I was available for employment and filled out a change of address on that form. I wound up only receiving $450 deposit into the debit card instead of the $900 for two weeks. I have received no information stating why I did not get full payment and have tried their 800 # XXXXX cannot get through no matter how many times a day I try. I have also used the EDD web page and sent a request thru their Contact EDD and have not received a response. Do you know why it was stopped? I have not received the bi-weekly form to fill out and send back after the one week payment. Is there anything I can do from Texas to reactivate my unemployment benefits? Thank you for any information. Margaret Holmes
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Typically, EDD halts unemployment benefits when someone has moved out of state. You should have a phone interview scheduled in order to have your benefits reactivated, since you will only be disqualified from receiving benefits for two weeks after the move.

Afterwards, you will be able to receive the same amount in unemployment benefits that you would have received had you not moved out of state.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I am being penalized for leaving California. Now to reinstate my benefits, I need to have a phone interview scheduled, but how does that process get done? I have tried the EDD web site for response. Is there a link where I can get it reinstated by requesting an interview or the 800# XXXXX I can never get a rep on the line? Simply put, how do I get this phone interview
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
It's not actually a penalty, EDD disqualifies you from receiving benefits during a move, since the belief is that you won't be able to seek work during, and immediately after, moving.

However, you won't receive any less in benefits due to the move.

Typically, EDD will contact you to schedule a phone interview. It is virtually impossible to get through to EDD on the phone, so your best bet is to contact them via the website.

You can request to make an appointment for a phone interview by filling out the form here and explaining your situation:
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you