LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.
15277592

I realize that this forum doesnt allow for many details, but

I realize that this forum doesn't allow for many details, but in general, I'm curious to know if it is feasible that a lawsuit could be brought against an employer for unfair treatment of an employee in relation to his/her peers where the employee voluntarily left the company because he/she felt that they were being treated in a way that was unfair and inconsistent with the way in which Management treated his/her peers.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

I'm not sure what you mean when you write that this forum doesn't allow for many details---but I think that much of the time there is a great deal of detail imparted in the answers here. While we don't represent you and cannot do a detailed evaluation of each person's situation, complete with case law citations and codes attached---we do try to give each person a good understanding of the law.

What you are referring to in your fact pattern is generally known as discrimination. Now, there are legal forms of discrimination, and illegal forms.

So long as the discrimination directed at you was unrelated to your race, color, gender, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other personal characteristic protected by law, then there is no legal basis for a claim or lawsuit relative to disparate treatment that you may have received at work. The laws do not compel complete fairness and equality in the workplace, nor do they compel civility.

If you do believe that you were unlawfully discriminated against based on one of the factors I listed above, then you might consider filing a claim of discrimination.

CA law prohibits unlawful harassment and discrimination in the workplace.

Workplace harassment/discrimination is any unwelcome or unwanted conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or an aversion toward another person on the basis of any characteristic protected by law, which includes an individual's race, color, gender, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other personal characteristic protected by law. A conduct is considered unwelcome if the employee did not solicit, instigate or provoke it, and the employee regards XXXXX XXXXX as undesirable or offensive.

In CA you have two possible avenues of approach to dealing with discrimination. If your goal is to ultimately sue in Federal Court, then you will file a complaint with the EEOC, and if you want to be in the CA Superior Court---local to your county---then you will file with the DFEH and, if you want to, with the EEOC as well.

You may a formal complaint with the CA Department of Fair Employment and Housing alleging discrimination.

To do this you must first make an appointment with the Department to be interviewed, either over the phone or at a local DFEH office. You may call the DFEH at(NNN) NNN-NNNN or apply on line by using the Department’s "Online Appointment System." The system will guide you through questions to determine whether an appointment is right for you.

Alternatively, you may file a complaint with the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). If your company has 15 or more employees, they are prohibited from discriminating against you. To file a complaint with the EEOC, contact the nearest Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office. To be automatically connected with the nearest office, call(NNN) NNN-NNNN EEOC website: www.eeoc.gov

Federal law specifically prohibits discrimination, based upon the Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age, Sex and Disability of an individual, with regard to hiring, promotion and firing.

After you file the complaint, your employer will be prohibited from any retaliatory action against you. The EEOC will investigate your claim, and 180 days after the filing of the complaint you may ask for a "right to sue letter". The EEOC will issue you the letter which gives you the right to institute a private civil action against your employer and seek monetary damages.

I hope that I have provided you with enough detailed information for you to understand the law as it relates to the situation that you have described.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.