How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We just hired a live-in caregiver for my 90 year old father,

Resolved Question:

We just hired a live-in caregiver for my 90 year old father, who lives in a rented home. The caregiver works 5 days/week but lives with my father the full 7 days/wk. We pay for all food and pay him $625/wk.
Do we need to withold SS or get workers' comp for the caregiver? How do we set that up?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, you need to withhold social security and obtain workers' compensation for the caregiver as an employer.

The Social Security withholding rate is 6.2%. You would need to contact an agent or broker in order to purchase workers' compensation insurance.

You can read more about workers' compensation requirements under California Law here:
Joseph and other California Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related California Employment Law Questions