Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

Hello, I received a 4/16/12 Noticed of Determination from

I received a 4/16/12 Noticed of Determination from the CA-EDD stating I was not eligible for unemployment benefits for period ending 3/3/12 because I submitted my claim late (the EDD received it 4/4/12). In an appeal letter I wrote that I had begun a temporary job (3/9/12 - 4/13/12) and was focused on my employment. I then recieved a 4/26/12 Notice of Right to Receive Benefits Pending Appeal letter which stated the EDD would mail me claim forms (no specific dates listed). In addition, the letter read that I could choose whether to receive benefits pending my appeal. The letter also stated that if my appeal was declined I may have to repay any benefits received. My question is: Why would I have to repay benefits from claim periods I was eligible for? (i.e. period ending 4/28/12)

Thank you.
Nevin Edgington
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Whether you are eligible for benefits is in dispute since you are appealing it, so a final determination has not been made in your case.

Until there is such a determination, with the right to appeal being exhausted or waived, there would typically be a chance that you will ultimately be denied benefits.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the ACCEPT button and/or SMILEY FACE once I have answered your question. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.