Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I am a salaried hotel general manager. I have been in the hotel

I am a salaried hotel general manager. I have been in the hotel business for 31 years and have never had to punch a clock at any of my last 8 hotels.My current hotel owner now wants all the salaried managers to clockin/clockout. Is this legal?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Yes, unfortunately, it is legal for employers in California to require salaried employees to clock in and out.

This freedom stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which allows employers to terminate employees at any time for any reason.

It is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, which states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

Since employers have the freeom to terminate employees at any time for any reason, they are within their rights to impose whatever conditions on employees, including requiring salaried employees to clock in and out.

I wish I could give you better news, but I hope you appreciate a direct and honest answer to your question.