Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

Can I get State Disability?

I will wait until 1:30am, then check for your answer in the morning. I am trying to get State Disability. I have not worked since 4/1/2011. I just sent in my paperwork to the EDD. Do I have any chance of getting State Disability, or am I way too late? I had W2 income ($800-$1,000 a week) for years, all up until April 1st, 2011, and since then have been disabled, I have not worked, & I have  doctor's certificate (BiPolar Disorder).
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Yes, if you are unable to work due to your disability then you could qualify for receiving state disability.

However, since you wainted this long to file benefits, your benefit amount would likely be reduced, since the benefit amount is based on the wages that you received in the last 15-17 months, discounting the last 3.

Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management