LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I have been working at a company in California for the past

I have been working at a company in California for the past 4 years. When I was hired, I signed an at-will employement document and agreed not to hire anyone after leaving for 6 months.

I have just quit my job to start a consulting company in the same IT sector. I just received my departure paperwork and ther eis a "Termination Certification" page that says that I will no use company information, trade secrets, etc, etc... At the end it says that I agree that for 12 months, I will not solicit, induce, recruit or encourage any of the Company's employees to elave their employement.

Do I have to sign this form? I already have my last paycheck, etc, and I don't want to agree to the added non-solicitation time. What are my options?
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

There is never any legal obligation to sign such a document.

You need to know that the taking of company information/secrets---such as employee names and contact information is unlawful---with or without a non-competition agreement. In fact non-compete agreements are illegal in CA for all but a select few instances---such as the selling of a business---but not for the everyday employee.

There is no need to sign the form.

I wish you the best in 2012.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,