How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Lawyer
Category: California Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5299
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
Type Your California Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a non union roofing contractor working on a public works

Customer Question

We are a non union roofing contractor working on a public works project. The union rep accessed our project on the roof. We asked the reps to vacate the roof, if they wanted to talk to our employees it need to be on their time, not our time. We now have a request letter from the public works agency, forwarded from the union for the following documents:
First Bid Advertisement Date', Copy of the Contract, Copy of list subcontractors, Copy of Paymnet & Performance Bonds and all job site reports and of course all certified payroll reports. What do we have to comply with?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Under the National Labor Relations Act, an employer has a duty to furnish the union with all relevant information for the union to engage in the collective bargaining process.

As long as the information is relevant, then the union is within its rights to request the information, and employers are under a duty to provide this information, or they could face an unfair labor practices charge by the National Labor Relations Board.

You can find more information about the duty to provide relevant information to the union under the National Labor Relations Act here: