Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I just found out when I began the process of background checks

Customer Question

I just found out when I began the process of background checks on all of my employees to satisfy a requirement of an insurance company who I provide services for that two of my employees, both auto painters, who had been in my employ for some time, one almost ten years, had provided false documents when hired - I did an I-9, and do not have valid social security cards. I have never received a "no match" on either of them. They admitted this to my assistant when asked to fill out an acknowledgemnt of the pending background check. They did fill out the form and signed it authorizing the backround check. What do I do now?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

You should terminate the employees who are not authoried to work, since you are now aware that they provided false documentation and are not actually authorized to work.

Since you were previously unaware that they weren't authorized to work, you wouldn't be liable for employing undocumented workers.