Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I have a co-worker who I had to supervisor while my manager

I have a co-worker who I had to supervisor while my manager was on vacation this past week. The week went find until last Friday when I asked him to not do the mail cart in the front lobby of the law firm. He then proceeded to tell the receptionest that he was going home cause he didn't feel good. He then emailed the office manager which we don't really work for. We are a company within a company! He also knew that the new girl was leaving @ 5:00 the day. He nver came to me and aksed me if it was okay for him to leave. He was just going to leave and leave a new girl to close the office. When my boss got back on Monday he had me write up an memo so that he could give to his bosses so that he could be written up. I typed the memo and give it to my boss, but because we use a community computer I for got to erase it form the desk top. So Patrick found the memo and off and running he went. He was written up on Tuesday. I had let Patrick borrow a lock for his locker and today I asked for it back and now my HR department says that I was wrong form asking for the lock back. I feel If I paid for I should be able to get it back when ever I wanted. No it was not a personal thing. He now tell my manager he can't work with me cause he feels threaten by me. Now when he first started he yelled at me in the copy center and in the front lobby of the law firm and I never once said that I felt threathen by him. What are my right?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, unless your co-woker made false statements about you to your employer, you wouldn't have any cause of action against him due to his behavior.

However, if he has made false statements about you, you would have a cause of action against the person for defamation for making false statements about you.