Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

My manager has given me a ton more work load than any one else

My manager has given me a ton more work load than any one else on our team. He berates me in front of people during meetings and even last week in front of an executive. It is so obvious I've had people hug me and cry and say they feel terrible about it. He has even made several sexual inscinuations to others in front of others, but everyone in this place looks the other way... I am completely stressed out and have a note from Kaiser to go out on stress leave immediately for 2 weeks because of the environment. I would prefer to just quit and walk away, but everyone tells me that I need to stand up for myself at least even if I quit and perhaps I can get unemployment that way so I don't end up without an income.

Do I have any legal recourse here?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, unless your manager's treatment of you is due to discrimination based on a protected characteristic (such as race, gender, national origin, or ethnicity), the manager's treatment of you, while unethical and wrong, is legal.

However, you most likely would be able to obtain unemployment benefits if you were to quit your job due to the stress that you're enduring as a result of your manager's treatment of you.

You likely would have 'good cause' to leave your employment, which would entitle you to unemployment benefits.

You can read more about establishing 'good cause' for a voluntary quit online here:

http://edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Voluntary_Quit_VQ_5.htm

However, I would reccomend that you first make a complaint to your manager or HR, as it would help you establish your case that you left employment for 'good cause.'
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Extensive experience representing employees and management