LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of experience in the practice of law, including employment law and discrimination law.

I am a bartender and was harrassed by a member of the V.F.W.

Customer Question

I am a bartender and was harrassed by a member of the V.F.W. No one would make it stop so I put in 2 week notice. 48 hours later I changed my mind and decided to try other course and withdrew my resignation. Do they have the right not to except it.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

An employer always has the right to immediately accept the resignation of an employee and not to allow that resignation to be rescinded by the employee.

Unfortunately, that is the case in your situation as well. Had you been harassed by a co-employee, as opposed to a customer/member, you would be entitled to more protection under CA law, but an employer has no legal duty to take steps to prevent a customer from harassing an employee---even if the harassment revolves around the employee's Ethnicity, Color, Religion, National Origin, Age, Sex or Disability. I'm sorry.

I wish you the best in 2012.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation, nor was it what I sensed you were hoping to hear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I choose to no longer assist you. I will opt out now.

I wish you good luck.