Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

I am in the state of California. In December 2011 I broke 2

I am in the state of California. In December 2011 I broke 2 ribs slipping on ice. When I cane to work on the following Monday my employer asked if I was on any pain pills I said yes Vicadan. They said for me to go home until the doctor released me from the Vicidan, I went on a weekly basis to the doctor to monitor my condition. It took a month for a final release. Now they are useing my absence against me in a review. Is this right. They told me to go home I showed up to work.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, unless you were on FMLA protected leave, your employer could use your absence against you as an at-will employee.

While it definitely isn't right or ethical for your employer to use the absence against you in a review, it is, unfortunately, legal.

This is due to the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, which states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

Since your employer could terminate you at any time for any reason, they could also discipline you for any reason.