PaulmoJD
PaulmoJD,
10285032

My supervisor is terrible. I was terminated today after a final

Customer Question

My supervisor is terrible. I was terminated today after a final write up. Going to work was seriously like walking on egg shells. Days where I knew she'd be gone myself and a few others rejoiced. The environment was so hostile, and passive aggressive I couldn't wait to go home. I definitely felt like I was the only person targeted by this individual. I would do just about the same things as the other employees and get in trouble for. Example use the restroom, be a few minutes late to work or come back from lunch or taking short cuts with our duties. You basically had to kiss her feet or she'd make your life at work a living hell. I had recently heard a few other employees were fired or were instigated to be let go because of the exact same reasons. If she didn't like you, she'd do whatever it would take to get you fired. I have no idea what to do or what my legal options are; if I have any. I'd appreciate some help. Thank you
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  PaulmoJD replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear this happened to you, but I am afraid I have some bad news. Under the law, employment is considered at will and an employee may be terminated for any reason at all as long as it is not only based on your age/race/sex/disability. Additionally, the US Supreme Court has clearly stated that the laws on hostile work environment were enacted to protect employees from conduct based only on their age/race/sex/disability and they were not intended to create a code of civility in the workplace (See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore). Thus, I am afraid if you just have a poor supervisor with bad people skills, unless she is doing this to you based only on your age/race/sex/disability, you have no recourse other than filing for unemployment if you are fired or complaining to upper management if you were not.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT and/or the HAPPY SMILEY FACE button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.