Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have been an offered compensation for gathering signatures

I have been an offered compensation for gathering signatures on petitions. In the legal sense is that something that is never legal? I must add I am not intructed to attempt to persuade and of those I give opportunity to sign.
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

LegalPro54 :

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to answer your question.

LegalPro54 :

Would you be so kind as to perhaps restate what you mean by this sentence: "In the legal sense is that something that is never legal?"

Customer:

I have the opportunity to be paid for signature gathering. The petitions I will be paid to gather signatures on are one's like "More taxation to millionaires" "More Clean Energy Jobs" things like that. is signature gathering for pay legal in California?

LegalPro54 :

I see, thank you.

LegalPro54 :

In general, there is nothing illegal about working to obtain signatures in the manner you have described.

Customer:

ok thanks

LegalPro54 :

However, an individual engaging in such practice should be mindful not to trespass onto premises where such practices are not allowed.