Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management

What are the required parts to make a hostile work environment?

What are the required parts to make a hostile work environment? We have effective terrorism happening at my place of employment, but it's global; it's not directed at any individual. Is there anything we can do?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situaiton and hope I can help.

Unfortunately, in order to make out a claim for a hostile work environment, the treatment needs to be due to a protected characteristic of the effected employees' (such as race, gender, national origin, or ethnicity).

However, that said, you likely would be able to obtain unemployment benefits if you were to quit your job due to the treatment that you're experiencing at work, as you would have good cause to leave your employment.

For more information on good cause for voluntary quits see this webiste:

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

Anything I should do to lay out the "good cause" for resigning?

Yes, you could state that you can no longer the hostility in the work environment and it's necessary for you to leave your employment due to the stress that it's causing you.

It would probably be beneficial to write the letter to the person who hires and fires the managers prior to resigning, as it would help substantiate your case if your employer contests you receiving unemployment benefits.