socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Ok I clicked "Accept for my answers", Will you please answer

Customer Question

Ok I clicked "Accept for my answers", Will you please answer the last one?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.
I'm back.

Your comment about the workers comp issue may be the best thing you have going for yourself. Labor Code 132a prohibits discrimination based on filing a workers compensation claim. That would give you grounds for a petition to the WCB, on the grounds that you are being terminated for no reason at all, therefore it must be due to the workers comp issue. The city can't claim that it's due to your misrepresenting yourself on the job application, because your facts show that you didn't misrepresent. So, you weren't dishonest, and that makes the Labor Code 132a claim much more viable.

There is also the possibility that the termination violates the 14th Amendment, on the basis that it was arbitrary. But, that's a much more difficult claim to make.

So, you may want to contact a workers compensation lawyer and discuss this in terms of that claim as the rationale for your forcing the city to rescind the termination.

For a competent referral, see this link.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION.