Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience representing employees and management
54899578

I have worked part time for the past 6 years at the same office.

Customer Question

I have worked part time for the past 6 years at the same office. On average, I worked 17 hours a week, approximately 65-75 hours a month. Recently, management has drastically reduced my hours (total of 12 hours for the month of March). What is my next step? Will I be able to collect unemployment if I quit?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.

Unfortunately, as an at-will employee, your employer can reduce your hours at any time for any reason with or without prior notice.

This stems from the employment at-will doctrine, which is codified in California Labor Code Section 2922, which states:

"An employment, having no specified term, may be terminated at the will of either party on notice to the other. Employment for a specified term means an employment for a period greater than one month."

You may be eligible to obtain unemployment benefits if you quit your job. In order to obtain unemployment benefits if you 'voluntarily quit'
you need to have 'good cause' for leaving your employment.

For more information on voluntarily quits see this website:

http://edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Voluntary_Quit_VQ_5.htm