Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  California licensed attorney
11182422

Hi I have been wrongly accused of fighting with co-worker in

Hi I have been wrongly accused of fighting with co-worker in the presence of my supervisor and another different co-worker. Does that make sense to a lawyer when looking for representation? Also what do you recommend I do?
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 2 years ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

Thank you for your question. Have you been terminated as a result of this?

Customer: That's there course of action. I have a appeal meeting (skelly) in may.
Brandon M. :

Ok, so there is a Skelly hearing... are you a state employee?

Customer: Yes, city of s.f.
Brandon M. :

I now have an idea of where things are procedurally. Do you have an attorney?

Customer: No at the moment . I'm meeting with a union rep. Next week. We both belong to same union.
Brandon M. :

I am having just a bit of difficulty with the question of what to recommend. The difficulty is that is a very general question and that tends to necessitate a very broad answer. The truth is that I would recommend consulting with an attorney to plot out a strategy for your defense because there is no way to give you any meaningful direction outside of a full, in-person consultation. I would like to be able to give you more specific information, but I would need the scope of the question narrowed a bit to make that possible.

Customer: Ok. I understand . My question is ,should I get a lawyer because I feel the union cannot honestly represent both of us. Is that a conflict of interest. I want 100percent representation in my defense.
Brandon M. :

It is not a conflict of interest for the union, but, if I may be frank, I just don't trust them to do that good of a job. You don't necessarily need to drop $10,000 to retain an attorney, but I would at least consult with one for an hour or two so your case can be examined and potential strengths and weaknesses can be identified from a legal perspective.

Brandon M. :

Does that make sense?

Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: California licensed attorney

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please keep in mind that the experts are not credited for unaccepted answers; even where I cannot solve every problem in a case, my hope is that you can at least feel confident in your knowledge of your rights so you can get the best legal outcome under the circumstances, whatever that outcome may be. Please remember to click accept once you are finished. Thank you.