Tina, Attorney
Experience:  JD, 17 years experience & recognized by ABA for excellence in employment law.

i work for a large public corporation and have done for 13

i work for a large public corporation and have done for 13 years. i enjoy my job very much. within the past 12 months i have been slowly ostresized (sp) by a new group of employees (mean girls) its come to my attention that they write group emails about me, containing nasty jokes about my unborn baby and pregnancy. the emails are apparantly so vicious that some of the employees don't want to respond. when i would discuss how i was going to breastfeed during office hours i was met with comments such as "die" "gross" "barf". i scince returned to work this week after 8 weeks of maternity leave and was not even looked at or said hello by these girls (we have 7 employees total) and apparantly they have now been emailing nasty things about by baby daughter. My question is how do i approach the owners of my company about this. Do i have any rights? Can i ask that the email exchanges can be looked into by IT. I'm told this has been going on for a year. before i resign out of misery i wanted to know if i had any rights. i need my job but its become unbearable and causing me so my anxiety
Category: California Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

I am very sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

Do you know what prompted these attacks on you?

You have been specifically targeted because you were/are pregnant and you intended to breastfeed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think it's just a matter of personality clash. They
Think I am stuck up. But surely they can't write
The kind of emails they are about me and the baby
On office computers? Do I have the tight to ask
The owners based in dallas to look into it?
It's harrassment?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

It is workplace harassment which the employer should work to resolve promptly. The law does not generally prohibit harassment, but it does prohibit such conduct directed toward an individual based on their gender, pregnancy, age, race, or other protected status. That is why I asked about that as the law does not prohibit personality conflicts.

However, there are criminal statutes prohibiting harassment which the co-workers have arguably crossed with their vile conduct. Therfore, the matter could be reported to the police and if it continues, a restraining order could typically be sought to prevent such future conduct.

I would be best though to provide the employer with an opportunity to resolve the matter. If you are not sure how they will respond to your complaint, then it would be best for you to consult with a local employment law attorney who can be prepared to respond quickly to any communication or action directed at you by the employer.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.